Photoshop Tutorial | Create a Lasting Impression with textures and photos.
Roll over the image above to see the before and after pictures and then take a look below for a breakdown of achieving a similar effect.
Experimenting with textures, creating textures, working on different designs and photos, sometimes I am not sure which comes first, the photo or the texture.
In this case the lilies sitting on my table are to blame. After I took a snapshot, the colours and the texture on the petals were the inspiration behind the Free Texture Grab “Lasting Impressions” which in turn was used to create the finished art.
1. First up grab the free “lasting impressions” texture (lasting-impressions-c) and open it in photoshop.
2. Next open your photo.
3. Place your photo in a layer above the texture, re size if necessary and then duplicate the photo layer so you now have two photo layers. On the original photo layer set to Overlay, Opacity 53%.
4. With the other photo layer I added a blur to soften the edges (Filter – Blur – Gaussian Blur – 60/70 %) and also set the layer to Overlay, Opacity 68%.
5. Now you can finish there or try one last little trick for adding light by creating a layer with a lighting effect.
6. First up add a new layer (above all the rest) and fill with dark grey/almost black. Then go to Filter – render – Lighting Effects.
7. Play around with all the different parts and sliders, as each photo is different with a different light source. Experiment.
8. Set the Light Effect layer to screen and reduce the opacity to suit.
Okay I have showed you mine, let’s see yours :D